DIY knight costume

costume chevalier DIY

For Elliot’s 4th birthday theme was.. knights! Every year we like to gift something homemade to this year I went for a knight costume and it was a success! (wayyy more than my adorable hand sewn mice for his second birthday)

1. The chainmail

L’attribut alt de cette image est vide, son nom de fichier est costume-chevalier-knight-costume-1.jpeg.
L’attribut alt de cette image est vide, son nom de fichier est costume-chevalier-knight-costume-1-4.jpeg.
L’attribut alt de cette image est vide, son nom de fichier est costume-chevalier-knight-costume-1-5.jpeg.

To make the “chainmail”, I scoured thrift shops looking for a top that would work. I suggest looking through the women’s section, there a plenty of this type of top. Stretchy silver jersey is the best for this project.

The steps

  1. I started out by tracing one of Elliot’s sweaters (I chose one that was a bit too big). I kept the original top’s v neckline in the front to save some work. I added a hood that I traced from a hoodie to the neckline. My sleeves we’re a little short so I added some black ribbing.

If you prefer using a pattern, I suggest a hooded sweatshirt one (go one size up so it lasts a lite while) I suggest these :

Lowland kids : Hoodie – version with hood and no buttons

Ikatee : Hoodie Charlie(by there are some buttons on the side)

Fabric : Thrifted top

2. The tunic

L’attribut alt de cette image est vide, son nom de fichier est costume-chevalier-knight-costume-3.jpeg.
  1. For the tunic, I first cut a rectangle (12 inches by 48 inches). Foled in half i cut a hole for the head. I thought the shoulders weren’t looking wide enough so I added little triangles to the sides.
  2. Once that was all assembled, I traced the exact shape on some white fabric and sewed them right sides together leaving the bottoms and the neckline open
  3. I added bias to the neckline and to the bottom
  4. I added the coat of arms using leftover fabric from the cape that I sewed with a zig zag stitch.
  5. I cut the lion shape using this template
  6. And cut out a lion on the gold iron on paper

Fabric: Upcycled duvet cover (i also made this dress with it!)

Twig and Tale have a similar tunic pattern here

3. The cape

L’attribut alt de cette image est vide, son nom de fichier est IMG_8232.jpg.
  1. The cape is a large semi-circle. I cut the sides diagonally so it would be more open in the front (so you can see the coat of arms!!)
  2. I also found another silver top so I used that one to add the smaller grey part
  3. I finished that part off with some silver trim (similar here)
  4. I but bias tape all around because cut curtain fabric is super itchy!
  5. To tie the cape I used two clasps and some ribbon

Fabric : thrifted curtain

4. Leggings

  1. I was lucky enough to find seau sparkly moments tightsleggings that I sewed to size using pajamas as a template

5. Accessories

  1. I thrifted a metallic belt that I added holes to to make it smaller
  2. The beautiful sword is by Sarah’s silk I got it from le petit cocon
  3. The magnifiaient shield is made in Quebec and from La grande ourse (size small)
  4. The crown is a quick DIY with this fabric

* The perles and co links are affiliate

L’attribut alt de cette image est vide, son nom de fichier est costume-chevalier-knight-costume-1-8.jpeg.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: